If 8 out of 10 people read your headline, but only 2 out of 10 read the rest of your post, your headlines aren't good enough. So how do you write better ones?
- Make them short and sweet
- 6 words is the perfect length - people scan headlines, so fewer words equals better retention
- use fewer than 66 characters - extras get cut off in search results
- Use interesting adjectives
- don't be formal - more casual adjectives speak directly to the reader
- Use numbers
- digits are better than words - 100 versus one hundred
- bigger numbers equal more shares
- Use negative wording
- tap into readers' insecurities with words like "no," "without," and "stop"
Want to learn other tips for writing good headlines? See Neil Patel's (from Quick Sprout) infographic here.