Website architecture is how your site’s structure helps users find information quickly and easily, and it’s important because it keeps visitors on your page and improves your search rankings.
Here’s how to develop an effective website architecture:
Be a copycat (kind of!)
- Have an eCommerce store? Emulate Amazon. Your site will feel familiar to your visitors and therefore easier to navigate.
Be consistent, clear, and commonsensical
- Keep your navigation format, design principles, and link displays the same on every page.
- Visitors should immediately understand what they’ll see if they click an internal link
- If a link says “ebooks,” make sure it links to ebooks.
Follow the 3-4 click rule
- A million pages on your site? Doesn’t matter – the architecture should allow users to start from the homepage and end up on any other page within 3-4 clicks.
Eight seconds is all the time you get to catch someone’s attention when they land on your website – better make your website architecture good.