The noise about Miley is spot on. She was a train-wreck (and local teenagers confirm this). Consider Miley’s reputation and her public image as her content, her brand. Here’s our observation on how she got the marketing of that content dead-wrong. If you haven’t seen the performance (and can bear to lose 6 minutes of your life), here is the link to it
- It was out of context – While Miley may be changing her image, she was so far out of context, that our mind doesn’t make the jump. If you want to transition your audience to a new way of thinking, its best to bring them along one logical step at a time. A big jump is jarring and will likely lose a substantial portion of them. If that’s your goal (and it may have been hers) then go ahead – just be prepared for the results.
- The performance provided shock over substance – Yes, she got people talking, but there can be bad press too. For celebs, it may not matter, but for your business, it probably does.
- You content has to be honest to who you are – Miley, trying to act like a rapper or boy from da 'hood, just looked silly. Not only is it not in our image of her, she was also bad at it. It looked contrived and dishonest.
- You should be respectful your audience’s time: Give them something of value - Miley’s performance was hollow, light, all antics and no substance. (well maybe she doesn’t have any substance anyway).
- Let your content set a good example: If your ideal target customer and persona expect flash and over the top (because that’s the business you are in) then great. Remember, your prospects and customers are looking at your content as an example of what it would be like to do business with you.
- Use the filter you were born with (especially in a blog); just because you can say it, doesn’t mean you should – Where did Miley ever get to the place where she thought that this was a good idea? Yes, she had the stage, but she could have said no at any point, or changed the direction.
We all make mistakes with our content. And making one or two of these at the same time is not fatal. Please do us all a favor though and try not to make all six at once.